[RESOLVED] Glitch when creating specific quizzes - repeatable on different servers, different versions

Hello Support, Hope all is well with you.

Coaches at ObAnggen School reported a glitch when creating specific quizzes. When trying to create a new quiz at - Coach > “any class” > QUIZZES > NEW QUIZ > CK-12 > Science > Chemistry > Organization of Matter - the screen goes to this

If TRY NOW is pressed, the Coach is successfully reconnected but still unable to create this specific quiz.

The Coaches have also found same “glitch” at - Coach > “any class” > QUIZZES > NEW QUIZ > CK-12 > Science > Biology > Animals

Creating new quiz other than these two examples is working well

I am able to consistently recreate the glitch on different Kolibri servers with different versions (0.15.6,0.15.7,0.15.8). The different servers also have different databases, but same CK-12 content (I believe)

The Coaches have learned to work around the “glitch” but would like to be able to make these specific quizzes for students.

Server info at ObAnggen School:
Version: 0.15.7
Python: 3.8.10
Installer: deb kolibri-server - 0.4.0-0ubuntu2
Server: nginx/1.18.0 (Ubuntu)
Database: /home/kolibri/.kolibri/db.sqlite3
Free disk space: 308 GB
Server time: Mon Nov 14 2022 20:29:27 GMT+0900 (Japan Standard Time)
Server timezone: Asia/Jayapura
Device ID: 1a7cfa3ad9fc1886fccc88287c50efd4

Please advise on next steps we can take to help resolve this minor issue.

Hi @mrdavidhaag,

Thank you for providing all of the context and details in your post. I wasn’t able to reproduce the issue accessing those CK-12 folders while attempting to create a quiz.

Does the screen immediately go to the state pictured in your screenshot? Or does it change to that after some amount of time?

To gather more information, would you please reproduce the issue again, then reply with the (most recent) contents of the Kolibri logs located at /home/kolibri/.kolibri/logs/kolibri.txt. I’m unsure of what browser you’re using, but the console in the browser’s developer tools might also have more information-- this page has information on how to open it in a few different browsers.

Regards,
Blaine

Correction, the log file we likely want is the UWSGI log file, at /home/kolibri/.kolibri/logs/uwsgi.log

Hello @blaine

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I am using Vivaldi (Chrome) and Firefox browsers, both with same results of the screen immediately going to dark and disconnected. I believe at the school both Chrome and Firefox are used.

I used both browsers on test Kolibri server here running 0.15.8 to re-create issue, then downloaded the uwsgi.log file

Drive link to log file you asked for from our test Kolibri server here running 0.15.8.

Hope this information helps.

Hi @mrdavidhaag,

invalid request block size: 8856 (max 8192)...skip

So I believe that’s the pertinent error. To resolve it you’ll need to increase the buffer-size for uwsgi. To do that, create a new file in /etc/kolibri/uwsgi.d/ with an .ini extension containing the following:

[uwsgi]
buffer-size = 32768

That configuration increases the buffer size 4 times the default.

After adding the file, you’ll want to restart the kolibri-service service:

systemctl restart kolibri-server

Please let us know if that resolves your issue.

Regards,
Blaine

Hi @blaine
Thank you for the suggestion. So far no success to resolve the issue. I made a file named fix.ini and below is the CLI from the test server showing the fix.ini file in the /etc/kolibri/uwsgi.d/ folder

Last login: Mon Nov 14 23:06:54 2022 from 10.20.30.201
kolibri@kol-srv:~$ sudo nano /etc/kolibri/uwsgi.d/fix.ini
[sudo] password for kolibri:
kolibri@kol-srv:~$ sudo cat /etc/kolibri/uwsgi.d/fix.ini
[uwsgi]

buffer-size = 32768

I tried to take out the spaces before and after the equal sign, but no joy. Each time after changing or creating the file I both restarted the service and rebooted the server with same results of no change to the disconnect at Coach>“class”>Plan>QUIZZES>NEW QUIZ>CK-12>Science>Chemistry>Organization of Matter

I also tried the Coach>“class”>Plan>QUIZZES>NEW QUIZ>CK-12>Science>Biology>Animals with same disconnect result

I have tried both Firefox and Vivaldi (Chrome)

I have uploaded the new log file to the previous link.

Do I need to give a specific name to the .ini file?

Please advise if I have made any mistakes in your suggestions. Please advise next steps to help gather more information or changes that need to be made.

Below is system info from the test Kolibri server I am working from

Version: 0.15.8
Python: 3.8.10
Installer: deb kolibri-server - 0.4.0-0ubuntu2
Server: nginx/1.18.0 (Ubuntu)
Database: /home/kolibri/.kolibri/db.sqlite3
Free disk space: 281 GB
Server time: Mon Nov 14 2022 18:33:58 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Server timezone: Etc/UTC
Device ID: 3d938bfcc2e0d88860c4eb158da2fdd4

Kind regards,
David

Hi @mrdavidhaag,

Thank you for reuploading the uwsgi.log after making those changes. All of those changes look correct to me, but I still see the error in your logs, which suggests that the configuration didn’t get loaded or applied. I will look more into this issue on my end and follow up.

Is there anything in /home/kolibri/.kolibri/logs/kolibri.txt? If so, could share that file as well?

Regards,
Blaine

Hi @mrdavidhaag,

It seems likely that the /etc/kolibri/uwsgi.d/fix.ini configuration isn’t being loaded. You may leave that file in place.

So to work around that, I suggest editing the main configuration in /etc/kolibri/dist/uwsgi.ini to set buffer-size = 32768. In that file, there should already exist a buffer-size setting which you should update. After updating that file, restart kolibri-server again like last time.

Regards,
Blaine

Hi @blaine

Thank you for your help and persistence tracking down this issue.

The change of buffer-size in the uwsgi.ini file has resolved the disconnect issue in the two examples I gave.

Thank you for your help

Issue Resolved - well done!

Kind regards,
David

Great news, @mrdavidhaag! Thank you for using the forums.