Kolibri HTML viewer not working

Observed Behaviour
When browsing through Kolibri HTML content the viewer doesn’t display render the content properly on page.
Instead you get a static view of the content or the content doesn’t load in it’s entirety

Expected Behavior
When browsing HTML content the content viewer should render the content and behave as in previous versions.

User-facing Consequences
Some content in some channels doesn’t load as expected preventing the user from viewing the content.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Install latest version of Kolibri 0.12.0
  2. Install channel with HTML content like African Story Book
  3. Attempt to access html content

Context
Kolibri version: 0.12.0
Browser: Chrome and Firefox

Please note previous version is not affected by this issue.

Hi @phack, thanks for your report! We were alerted to this bug (which mostly seems specific to African Storybook), and we have made a fix for this. We have tagged the 0.12.1 release which will have the fix in, but we have not yet uploaded the updated installers. We will do so on Monday!

Thanks for the report, and let us know if 0.12.1 fixes it when you are able to upgrade.

Kind Regards,

Richard

Hi @richard thanks so much for the quick response. A channel we are helping to build also has some of it’s content affected by this issue. Thanks so much though looking forward to testing the update on Monday.

Kind Regards,
Patrick

Hi @richard

It looks like the content for African Story book is working perfectly now in 12.1. However, we have run into some problems with the web viewer for some other channels such as Thoughtful Learning. See screenshot below:

Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to provide more info please?

Kind Regards,
Patrick

Hi @phack,

Thanks for the follow up here. The screenshot should be adequate, and I assume that this is still on Ubuntu with Chrome and Firefox?

Kind Regards,

Richard

Hi @richard,

Yes that’s correct, issue still affects multiple browsers across different devices.

Kind Regards,
Patrick

Thanks - I have been working on a fix for this, and it should be in the next patch release, which we are hoping to have out by the end of the week. Thanks for your reports, and patience!

Hi @phack - FYI this issue should be addressed as of 0.12.2

Hi,

@devon @richard
I’ve done some testing with our dev box on one of custom channels we are building and there still appears to be a rendering issue somewhere.

The dev box has the following configuration:
Version: 0.12.3
OS: Linux-4.15.0-47-generic-x86_64-with-Ubuntu-18.04-bionic
Installer: apt
Server: Kolibri internal server
Database: /var/kolibri/.kolibri/db.sqlite3
Device name: Kolibri
Free disk space: 348 GB
Server time: Wed Jun 05 2019 22:11:03 GMT+1000 (Australian Eastern Standard Time)
Server timezone: Australia/Brisbane

And yields the below error:

We are also running a earlier version of Kolibri which is configured to the following:

Version: 0.11.0
OS: Linux-4.15.0-48-generic-x86_64-with-Ubuntu-18.04-bionic
Installer: apt
Server: Kolibri internal server
Database: /var/kolibri/.kolibri/db.sqlite3
Device name: Kolibri
Free disk space: 215 GB
Server time: Wed Jun 05 2019 22:12:13 GMT+1000 (Australian Eastern Standard Time)
Server timezone: Australia/Brisbane

On this version of Kolibri the content displays as expected:

Do you have any ideas please?

Hi @phack - this may be resolved with 0.12.4, which we are beta testing currently. I have sent you a DM describing how to test using this.