The 1-2-3 Basics to Set up a Kolibri Demo

I’m working on a project to add a large body of content to Kolibri and have an opportunity to do a demo/workshop at an international education conference.

I want to provide an experience of seeing Kolibri as a user and am thinking the best approach is to set up a Raspberry Pi (first timer), maybe for 10, 20 people. Can I get recommendations for hardware (is a Pi 3 fine?), what else needed (SD card and power supply?), and that setting up is as easy as the docs indicate?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @cogdog,

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity to showcase Kolibri! I am sharing some information from @jredrejo:

• Yes, the setup is as easy as the docs say (noting that we now have v0.17.2 available, so please ignore where it says 0.16) :grinning:
  • However, a Pi3 will likely not be able to support 20 users concurrently, because 1 Gb of RAM is not enough for that many. 10 seems more realistic.
  • Performance will depend a lot on the quality of the SD card.
  • For a demo, a SD card is good enough, for implementation we recommend not relying on a SD card as they tend to fail with usage quite quickly. All the permanent RPi installations Jose has tested are using an attached SSD usb disk. 250 Gb or 125 Gb SSD usb disks cost $25 and can be used for years without problems.

We’ve previously prepared some additional documentation here that I’ll be updating with Jose’s notes.

Once you test it out, we’d love to hear any feedback about your experience!

Thanks Laura! I have not purchased my Pi yet, so I will just get a 4 instead. Looking forward to trying this out.

Thanks again @laura just ordered a Pi4 starter kit, 4GB RAM and 32Gb card. This is just a first demo.

My idea is to have participants join the Pi’s network, so they are not able to use outside internet.

Eager to set up!

Hi @cogdog,

I’ve setup a online version of Kolibri on my demo site - One Laptop per School - HOME - I’ve installed most of the modules, maybe you would like to poke around on there and see what modules you would like to install offline on your Pi