Our Kolibri and Raspberry PI 4 server - the story so far

Hi everyone,

I am excited to share that we are planning a pilot program aimed at enhancing the knowledge of young people in Nigeria using Kolibri as an offline platform to support both tutor-guided and independent learning. A big thank you to the Kolibri team for creating this tool and making it freely available. Your initiative is making a significant positive impact on many lives.

We are still in the build stage, so there’s not much to share at the moment, but I will keep you updated as we begin testing the units in the field. For now, I’d like to quickly explain how we set up a production line to build the Raspberry PIs.

We chose to deploy the Kolibri server on Raspberry Pi 4 (Model B) computers because they are well-suited for our environment. The Raspberry Pi is inexpensive, has no moving parts (aside from the fan), is easily replaceable, and requires minimal power.

First, we built our primary unit using the Raspberry Pi image downloaded from Kolibri. We added a wireless network card to the Raspberry Pi, updated and upgraded the system, configured Kolibri, and added the desired content from Kolibri Studio.

Once we were satisfied with the setup, we created an image (IMG) file of the primary unit using a great tool called Image Backup.

We then transferred the IMG file to a Windows machine and used the official Raspberry Pi Imager to burn the IMG file onto new SD cards for the other Raspberry Pis.

This IMG file has worked with every unit we’ve built so far. Our IMG file size is around 150GB - so it does take so time to burn. It would be great if we could speed this up so we would love to hear your suggestions on how can speed things up a bit.

Thank you reading.