Rural Indonesia

Hi there,

I don’t yet have a Kolibri story, however I am posting here as Kolibri seems a good fit for the experiences I’ve had.

I’ve had several ties with Indonesia through my and my parents lives, myself being from Australia.

Outside the tourist areas, even Bali in 2010 still had emaciating poverty, and I saw how even simple things like business listings on Google Maps or an outdated iPhone running Grab could bring families out of impoverishment.

However many communities don’t have internet access at all, or even postmen to receive the “verify my address” postcard for a google maps business listing. I found this out the hard-way bringing scavenged smartphones with Khan Academy installed to those communities, having had previous enriching success with such offerings in internet-enabled communities.

I’ve been thinking now about bringing more scavenged smartphones or tablets, or say the Raspberry Pi 400 to those areas but with a solution that actually does have offline support, and that has led to Kalibri.

Upon an initial look at Kalibri, I was seeming say a 20 minute youtube video explaining the entire process, however from what I’ve gained from the various landing pages, it seems it is oriented for a teacher-student classroom relationship, rather than autodidactical learning? Does this mean there is a remote teacher, or I should engage a working relationship with the community’s teacher and onboard them with the platform?

My other question, is besides Khan Academy which I know it has, does it have anything for teaching English? In these areas English is the wealth language, if one can speak it, then it means he can engage with tourists, get employed, and can take care of his family.

Hi @balupton,

Thanks for sharing your experience and great to hear that Kolibri may be a good fit for the communities you’re part of in Indonesia. Happy to address your questions-

Kolibri can be used in a diverse range of learning settings, from formal classrooms to nonformal contexts (libraries, community centers, after school programs) with or without a facilitator present, as well as at home. Particularly during the pandemic, we worked to further support learners engaging in distance learning and who may not be co-located with a teacher. We developed a variety of pedagogical guidance materials for learners who are at home and for educators who are facilitating from a distance, which you can check out here.

Our upcoming releases of Kolibri will expand upon support for self-guided learning within the features of the platform itself, so stay tuned in the coming months. In terms of guiding the community for implementation, it would be good to first understand the current learning structure and then engage the teachers or administrators on where and how they may see Kolibri adding benefit. Feel free to take a look at our Kolibri EdTech Toolkit to see some resources on training and guides for use and implementation.

The Kolibri Content Library has a couple of sources for English language learning - Espresso English and Free English with Hello Channel.

Keep us posted and let us know if you have any additional questions.

1 Like

Great! I’ll check it out later when the time comes for my next trip. Looking forward to it!

that should say “seeking”

The Kolibri Content Library is a digital treasure trove of educational resources designed to empower learners and educators alike. Bursting with a diverse array of multimedia content, this library is a dynamic platform that caters to various subjects, levels, and learning styles. idiom

Thanks

3 Likes