Linking Kolibri PDF Content Lessons to a Document

Operating System (e.g. Windows, MacOS, Linux): MacOS

Browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari): Chrome

Channel (Name of the channel you were working on): Climate Smart Education e-Library

Description of problem:
Hello,

I have uploaded some PDF documents onto my channel as lessons. I wanted to link these PDF’s onto a document and then upload the document back onto the channel for easy access. I was wondering if it was possible to have some sort of link for each PDF that I have uploaded so someone can go to the direct lesson? Also, this needs to be done offline as well.

Hi @elnazgfar,

Welcome to the LE community support forum and thanks for posting. Before I provide a response, I want to be sure I understand what you are hoping to do.

You have created a channel, with a series of PDFs. Is each of those PDFs the same as one lesson, or do you mean that the PDFs are used as items within Kolibri’s lesson feature, and a series of them compose one lesson? For example: Lesson 1 contains PDF 1, PDF 2 and PDF 3? Or Lesson 1 and PDF 1 are the same thing?

Then, you would like to have the link to each PDF compiled into one PDF that functions almost like a table of contents, with links listed out to each, and add that to the channel. Is this correct?

My final question is in regards to:
“this needs to be done offline as well”

Do you mean creating and uploading the PDF(s) to the channel would need to be done offline? Or do you mean that one the channel is completed, you are hoping there is a way that the links within the “table of contents” PDF work in offline Kolibri setups?

Thank you for clarifying,
Marcella

Hi Marcella!

Thanks for your reply.

To answer your first question, I consider each PDF as one lesson. These PDFS are inside of one folder called “2.7: Climate Solutions by the Project Drawdown Lift Initiative”. This folder is inside another folder named “2.0: Climate Solutions”. This system is sort of like a textbook in which there are chapters and subchapters and the PDFS/lessons are all inside the subchapter 2.7.

Yes, I would like a link to each PDF/lesson compiled into one PDF that does function like a table of contents with links or hyperlinks listed out for each that we can then add as a PDF to that channel.

The latter is what I mean. I would like that once everything is completed that there would be a way to click and be redirected to the links when operating offline. I’m not sure if the term link is appropriate considering we wouldn’t be online, but I’m not exactly sure what to call it. It is just a redirection to a specific PDF/lesson when a student is going through the “table of contents” PDF.

Thank you so much! I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,
Elnaz

Hello,

I was just wondering if there was any follow-ups to this issue regarding linking the lessons to a document. Any information/help is much appreciated. Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Elnaz :slight_smile:

Hi @elnazgfar! I’m sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Here are some next steps that you could take.

First, PDF links within Kolibri content renderer and your local Kolibri instance will require an up-to-date version of Kolibri. You will want to be using Kolibri version 0.15.12 or greater, as this is when the functionality of using PDF links was updated in Kolibri.

Next, you will want to create your links. To do this, you can create content permalinks following this pattern:

/viewcontent?node_id=123&content_id=456&channel_id=789

The link should work with only the node_id information passed in, but the other information can be added as backup, if you choose. To make the link, you will add this path to your origin/IP address where Kolibri is running.

For example, a complete version might look something like:

127.0.0.1:8000/viewcontent?node_id=1641e0c96e6b4f84b3aa729cc30a894d&content_id=0ee616ec62d6464483bc941ce2ca57bf&channel_id=95a52b386f2c485cb97dd60901674a98

To find the node id, you can look in the URL of each piece of content when you open it. The node id appears after /topics/c/ and is a long string of letters and numbers, between the “/” and the “?”. As an example, I’ve included a screenshot below:

Please remember that outside of the context of Kolibri, these links would be meaningless, so if learners are not running Kolibri and on a local network, the links won’t link to anything useful. Downloading the PDF to their device and trying to open the links when not running Kolibri, for example, will not work.

Let me know if you have further questions, and how this works out for you :smiley: For further resources about lessons in Kolibri, you can also check out our documentation about Lesson Management using the “Lessons” feature, in case it is helpful or of interest!

Marcella