Content Import Issues with USB Flash drive

Please have a look at the two kolibri.txt files.

kolibri.txt - This is the logs for importing content via internet. The problem is it is showing files are corrupted when i use the tail -f command.

kolibri_usb.txt - This is the fiel where i’m trying to import the content from a usb flash drive. On some boxes it only updates the “version” of the channel, and does not show me the content selection. I have updated other boxes with it.

I have 65 Boxes to update :frowning: only updated 14 for these past 3 days due to struggling with our own internet and usb issues)

Please see files attached. Thank you so much!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BaNyyglLZdnmRJ__QDN9PaMy9QuFA8ni?usp=sharing

Technical details

• Kolibri version - 0.14.6
  • Operating system: Ubuntu Server 20.10 & Raspberry Pi OS Lite
  • Browser - Chrome

Hi @Bryan_Fisher , could you point me to the lines in the logs were you think Kolibri is failing?

I do see some errors related to the “version” upgrade like around here (line 182 of kolibri_usb.txt)

ERROR 2021-03-31 15:48:37,236 django.request Internal Server Error: /kolibri/api/content/remotechannel/a418892e64b94e33b939483b92c40d53/
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/kolibri/dist/urllib3/connection.py", line 158, in _new_conn
    conn = connection.create_connection(
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/kolibri/dist/urllib3/util/connection.py", line 57, in create_connection
    for res in socket.getaddrinfo(host, port, family, socket.SOCK_STREAM):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/socket.py", line 918, in getaddrinfo
    for res in _socket.getaddrinfo(host, port, family, type, proto, flags):
socket.gaierror: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution

Are you importing from a USB drive, but your kolibri device is still connected to the internet (which is why it tells you there is an upgrade available)? Do things run more smoothly if you’re not connected to the internet while importing from the USB drive?

I have stored a copy of the update channel on a USB key. I have tried multiple time to update with the USB drive without plugging in the LAN Cable with Internet access.

"but your kolibri device is still connected to the internet " No its not connected to the inter at the time, the content on the USB Drive is the Updated content.

Are you able to provide some screenshots of what you are seeing? Also, what channel are importing? Is it Growsmart ID a418892e64b94e33b939483b92c40d53 that I see in the logs?

I’ll try to reproduce this by

1. Downloading Growsmart to my copy of Kolibri
  2. Exporting it to a USB drive
  3. Deleting Growsmart
  4. disconnecting from the internet
  5. Attempting to re-import Growsmart

do those steps somewhat match what you have been doing?

@jonathan Thank you kinldy for your reply.
Yes,

I do:
Export from kolibri to USB drive.
Then Import it onto another instance of Kolibri on raspberry pi.

Outcomes:
The first one will usually work without any issues.
Second one will then update only the “Version” of the channel. But not the content itself, It will also display the content as if it is fully updated, but that only means that Version number of the channel is updated.

I will try and do a video for you to see. The behaviour is inconsistent most times.