Applying the latest technology

Hi, I just joined this group out of curiosity really, to see what you are all up to. I am a volunteer tutor with Schoolhouse.world (SHW), Sal Khan’s latest project. Kolibri began as KA lite, so we are like a cousin organisation.

At first sight, we are complete opposites. Kolibri is an offline tool and SHW gives live tutorials over the Internet using Zoom. So what do we have in common?

Well, first, we are all interested in pushing out the boundaries of education. Second, we are using a self paced learning tool as a foundation for live tutorials. Our experience with this might be of interest to teachers using Kolibri as a foundation for classroom lessons.

Finally, with the roll-out of new tech, like the Alphabet Loon balloons, there might be scope for some rural schools to run the occasional live session. Just conceptually at this stage, I think remote rural students might find it motivational and fun to attend a classroom session hosted by a tutor from the other side of the world.

If anyone is interested in any of this, post a reply here. I’ll check in from time to time.