Shifting Kolibri + Content onto another Computer

Hello,
I have been working on my laptop, creating classes, weekly lessons and weekly tests. I would like to set up the school server to have the identical setup as on my laptop without having to duplicate the efforts already spent creating the weekly lessons and tests. Is there a way I can migrate things as they are on my laptop onto the school server?

Thanks!

Hi @eliteschools. I think the simplest way to copy your laptop setup to your school server would be to copy the entire contents of ~/.kolibri on your laptop (if you’re using a Linux computer) to the school server.

If this data synchronization needs to be done on an ongoing basis, Kolibri does offer a command kolibri manage fullfacilitysync to handle this, but I do not believe it is currently documented, but we can help you get started with that.

Thanks for the response, I would like to know how to use kolibri manage fullfacilitysync please. So this would enable me to migrate my whole setup on one Linux machine onto another, with all my custom classes, tutorials and tests?

Yes, fullfacilitysync should be able to transfer your Lessons, Exams, Classrooms, and Reports between devices. I’m going to ask around if we can get some documentation written to help you with this.

@eliteschools But fullfacilitysync will not copy over your Channels between devices. If you need the same Channels (videos, books, etc.), I would recommend copying ~/.kolibri or your system’s KOLIBRI_HOME directory between computers.

where do I find my KOLIBRI_HOME directory, and what would the directory structure look like (echo $KOLIBRI_HOME gives me naught, which kolibri gives me /usr/bin/kolibri)? Would still appreciate the documentation for fullfacilitysync as well though…

just seen it now, missed the fact that its a hidden folder!

Cheers

Heya! So, fullfacilitysync is not yet fully supported (which is why it hasn’t been added to the documentation for now). In general it works, but we just found a small bug that was introduced recently, and also want to do further testing before “releasing” it (as part of 0.10 sometime next month). In the meantime, copying the db.sqlite3 file across (or the entire .kolibri folder) should accomplish what you need. Let us know how it goes!

Hello. I have just copied the .kolibri file from my Ubuntu 16.04 laptop (which already has learners, coaches, classes, and channels set up) onto a brand new kolibri install on another PC also running 16.04. Right clicking on the .kolibri folder after copying across shows that the new install has a .kolibri folder of 12GB, which tallies with what I have in my original .kolibri folder i.e 2 GB OpenStax, 8GB Khan Academy Mathematics and some miscellaneous). However opening Kolibri in the browser after restarting shows that there is no content in the brand new install, despite having the .kolibri replaced with one which does have content. Please advise?

Cheers

Hi @eliteschools. Did you restart your Kolibri server on your non-laptop computer after copying .kolibri? The list of channels needs to be re-created when content is added or removed from outside of the Kolibri application (e.g. by copying it through the OS).

Aside from that, have your accounts, lessons, and so-on been successfully copied on to your non-laptop computer?

Hi @eliteschools,

Did you install your Kolibri from our PPA and run it as system service? If so, your KOLIBRI_HOME will be /var/kolibri/.kolibri instead of ~/.kolibri. This is because we created a new user kolibri for you and started your Kolibri by this user if you chose to run Kolibri as system service. To copy the files to /var/kolibri/.kolibri, the safest way to do would be:

sudo service kolibri stop   # stop the kolibri service to copy the files to KOLIBRI_HOME in case you have kolibri still running
copy_the_files_to_`/var/kolibri/.kolibri`
sudo service kolibri start    # start the kolibri service again

Please feel free to comment here if the steps above still don’t work for you.
Thank you!

Sincerely,
Lingyi

When you say “the list of channels has to be re-created” am not sure what do you mean, that I should download channels again? Then where is the 12 gb size of the migrated .kolibri folder coming from if not content? My original request in this thread was

Blockquote
I have been working on my laptop, creating classes, weekly lessons and weekly tests. I would like to set up the school server to have the identical setup as on my laptop without having to duplicate the efforts already spent creating the weekly lessons and tests. Is there a way I can migrate things as they are on my laptop onto the school server?

Is this possible at all?

This is what I have in my laptop (where I have the content, classes, lessons and tests that I wish to migrate to a desktop PC), It seems I have both a ~/.kolibri and a /var/kolibri/.kolibri, is this o be expected?

Hi @eliteschools,

This could be possible. At some point, you ran kolibri start with the user baraka so that it created the folder ~/.kolibri as KOLIBRI_HOME.
But if you have chose to run kolibri as a system service, the preferred way to start kolibri is sudo service kolibri start. Or you can switch to user kolibri by sudo su kolibri and then run kolibri start. In this case, the folder /var/kolibri/.kolibri will be used as KOLIBRI_HOME.

Please elaborate further?