Duplicating a Facility for multiple schools

Hello,

I am Joseph, I need to support several schools with a structured/planned lessons as per the approved guidelines by the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development. Our process involves setting up a server in a laptop and a model facility(school) with all the resources in channels, then creating lessons for different learning levels with the resources and quizzes. We need to duplicate this across 20+ other school servers without the need to repeat the process again in each device.
My observation is, we can import the facility in a different server, but the worry is, the ID is probably the same, and if we happen to sync, there will be errors or conflict of data.
I need help if there is way of duplicating the facility without compromising on the data or relevant insights around the subject.
Thanks

Technical details

• Kolibri version: 0.15.7
  • Operating system: Ubuntu 22.04
  • Browser: Firefox

Hi @Joseph_K,

We appreciate your use of Kolibri. Our platform does allow for the import and synchronization of a facility across multiple servers without compromising the integrity of the data.

By importing a facility to a different server, a working copy of the facility and its associated data will be created. Each Kolibri instance will be distinct, but can subsequently be synced with the others, effectively merging the data and ensuring that all instances are up-to-date with the most recent facility information. This is the intended design, to facilitate ease of operation on a single set of facility data.

Please note this warning within the docs:

It is very important to remember that syncing does not import channels and resources.

When syncing facility data between devices in a local network, you must make sure that the same channels and resources are present on all the devices.

It is worth mentioning that if your objective is to replicate lessons across multiple facilities, at present our platform does not offer this capability natively. However, if you are comfortable with python scripting, it may be possible to accomplish this through the use of scripts.

I hope this information is helpful to you, and please do not hesitate to reach out to us for further assistance as you continue to utilize our platform.

Hi @Joseph_K,

In addition to what @liana shared, I’ll also add that you can follow this step on the original device prior to duplication to disassociate the original database with a particular Facility, such that each school server can have a unique Facility during set-up. This should alleviate the concerns about all servers having the same facility ID.

Let us know if any further clarification is needed!

Best,
Laura