Khan Academy human biology exercises missing images

I just checked and the files associated with the node in you channel are different from the assessment items and files in the “Khan Academy (English)” channel, so the problem should get fixed if you SYNC assessment items and files data for your “Form 3 Biology” channel.

I still don’t understand how this is possible. You said you used the Import from Channels option recently, so you should have gotten the latest files (the imported node should have the same data as the source node which is working), so there might be a bug going on…

In order to try to debug this, I had previously requested your help with this:

Did you maybe have these nodes in the clipboard?

@ivan
Thanks for your feedback. I just did a SYNC of those items, republished and then synced it down to our local Kolibri. The images are still not showing in the Form 3 Biology lessons.

The process I followed is I opened the channel, I clicked “SYNC” then chose assessement items and files data.

It finished the sync, then I published. It showed up in Kolibri with a new version. So I clicked “Import”, “Kolibri Studio (Online)” and then agreed to update the version. It showed 0 resources to delete or download. Once finished, I went and checked the assessment items and no change. Below is an example.

As to how the channel was created, I did not do that. A Peace Corps volunteer in the US, who had been living/working here in this village, put these channels together for me. He had to leave bc Peace Corps shut down their worldwide operations bc of Covid. So, I can’t say what procedure he followed to create these channels with the missing images. Still doesn’t explain why I can’t get them to sync and download. Very strange…

Thanks

Hi Chris, thanks for your patience as we resolve this issue, and thanks for reporting detailed debug information at each step of the process.

I can confirm the SYNC operation worked. The node in your channel now has exactly the same files and assessment items as the source node in the KA channel.

Just to be sure that we’re on the same page, you realize this exercises has 12 questions and only six of these questions contain images, right? So if in your testing you were expecting an image to show up on each question, that is not the correct expectation. Since the exercises has "randomize": true, it is possible you have to solve up to 7 questions before you see an image show up in a question.

I just imported the “Form 3 Biology” channel on a demoserver and the images are showing up fine:
http://35.196.115.213/en/learn/#/topics/c/2a4defb24e0449ec8147cf21d4b92429 see:

If you don’t see any images at all even after solving 7 exercises, one more thing you could try to fix this is to delete the Cells topic and the re-import it.

Yes, I realize that not all the questions have images. I just used one as an example. My system does not have the images.

Here is a screenshot of the questions preview of that same question you show:

It can try to reimport that section and see what happens. Will report back.

Great thanks.

From your screenshot, it feels like the image is there (reserved space for it) but just not displaying for some reason.

As an extra are-the-images-there test, you can try to load the direct link to the images:

replacing http://35.196.115.213 with the http://localhost:{port} of your Kolibri instance

@ivan

I can confirm the images show up with a direct link to my system following your instructions. So, is there a way to fix that without having to download the content again? I have not yet downloaded because I have limited metered data these days.

Did you do the delete-node-and-then-re-import procedure, or just check the direct links to the images now?

I did not delete & reimport. I checked the links. Have not yet done the former. Can I fix it w/o re-import?

In that case no need to do the delete & reimport — you already have the latest node + files + everything.

The root cause is something to do with the browser — for some reason it is not showing the images for you inside the lesson editor. The content is fine (and probably was fine to begin with).

I’ll have to “escalate” the issue with my colleagues who will know more about that, and for that purpose it would be great if you can provide the following info:

• confirm whether images for Question 9 show up or don’t show up in lesson editor (it is a .png, not a .svg)
  • post the exact URLs to the images that are showing up (after you did the replacement to your local installation).
  • re-post the Kolibri server info (since you updated, I’ll need the info again)
  • post the info about the browser version and device you’re using as client

I have a suspicion it is some sort of interaction static file serving, caching, and kolibri-server, but don’t know exactly. BTW, do you see missing in other exercises?

@ivan:
Here’s the information you requested. Let me know if you need additional info.

There are other exercises in the Khan Academy content I have that are missing images as well.

• **confirm whether images for Question 9 show up or don’t show up: The images do not show up on any of the devices or browsers listed below.

• post the exact URLs to the images that are showing up (after you did the replacement to your local installation).

Question 8 local URL that shows the image:
http://kolibri.jv:8080/zipcontent/2e3bdf4a903ae6c4a69c60d3339feb18.perseus/images/59dd6c40aa2991bcc9a34ac50978ecb0.svg

Question 9 local URL that shows the image: http://kolibri.jv:8080/zipcontent/2e3bdf4a903ae6c4a69c60d3339feb18.perseus/images/af0e2a7a75154320f7aaa0fbe71fa74f.png

• re-post the Kolibri server info (since you updated, I’ll need the info again)
    Version: 0.14.0b8
    Python: 3.5.3
    Installer: kolibri(apt) with kolibri-server Version: 0.3.8~beta2-0ubuntu1
    Server: undefined
    Database: /home/pi/.kolibri/db.sqlite3
    Free disk space: 49 GB
    Server time: Tue Jul 07 2020 19:40:38 GMT+0100 (WAT)
    Server timezone: Africa/Douala

• post the info about the browser version and device you’re using as client
    Browsers: MacBook Pro: Mac OS 10.14.6, Safari Version 13.1.1 (14609.2.9.1.3), Firefox 78.0.1 (64-bit),
    iPad2 iOS 9.3.5 (Safari), iOS 13 (Safari),
    Galaxy Tab 8: Android 8.1.0 Chrome 69.0.3497.100

Thank you Chris for excellent debug info. The fact that it doesn’t show in more than one browser is really confusing…

I’ve filed the issue on github here: https://github.com/learningequality/kolibri/issues/7258
I’ll try to keep you updated if we figure out what could be the cause, but you can also check the issue page.

In terms of next steps, it would be very helpful if you can do the following tests and report back your findings (either here or on the github issue):

• A. Try to access the exercise directly outside the lesson editor. I think the link for you should be:
    http://kolibri.jv:8080/en/learn/#/topics/c/2a4defb24e0449ec8147cf21d4b92429 but if that doesn’t work navigate to the exercise manually from Learn > Channels > Form 3 Biology > Cells > Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells. Answer a few questions until you hit one with an image. Does the image show?

• B. Try creating a new Lesson and use the same exercise (in case there was some problem with the data in the old lesson, and it is reusing the old exercise data despite the exercise being fixed). Do the images for Q8, Q9 show in the new lesson?

• Do the delete-then-import procedure for that content node (if you use the checkboxes to select only that exercise to delete and re-import it shouldn’t be a heavy download). Then repeat checks A and B again to see maybe fixed.

• One last theory is that kolibri-server + nginx is somehow caching the wrong files, so restarting the server might clear the cache. I’m not 100% sure of the commands but try: sudo systemctl stop kolibri-server followed by sudo systemctl start kolibri-server.

@ivan
A. Accessing it directly in the existing lessons. The images do not show.

B. Creating a new lesson for this exercise, the images still do not show. Nor do they show when access directly the exercise in the channel.

Because of an error occuring in Kolibri beta8 (posted to GitHub), I am unable to delete and re-download at this time to test.

I have restarted the entire RPi device, as well as the server, but that doesn’t change the situation with the missing images.