How do I limit a channel to Coaches/Teachers only?

Good morning all.

I have Kolibri running on a RasPi. Downloaded a few channels from Studio. How do I limit a channel to Coaches/Teachers only? I don’t learners to access some of the teacher/educator training materials.

I hope this is possible.

Thank you.

Hi @nativebreed,

Are these channels from our Content Library? We’ve taken steps to mark content from our Library as coach facing by labeling them with a tag that looks like this. If you see resources with that tag, it will only be visible to coaches. If you’re seeing educator training materials that don’t have this tag in our Library, can you let us know which coach resources you’re referring to? We’ll take a look and see if they should be marked as visible to coaches only.

Assuming these are channels from our Content Library, you can also make them visible to coaches only by following a few steps:

1. Create an account on Kolibri Studio
  2. Once you have an account on Studio, you can make a copy of a channel from our Library and make changes to the resources. To do this, click “New Channel”
  3. Give the channel a name. You can give it the same title as the original channel if you’d like. Fill in the other details and click Save.
  4. Click “Add” and “Import from Channels”. Find the channel in question and select all folders in the channel, or select a subset if you don’t want to add the whole channel. Import those resources into your custom channel.
  5. Once the resources have been added, click on the resources that you’d like to change to be visible to only coaches. When you scroll down on the edit modal, you’ll see a visibility drop down (if you don’t see it, there’s a visual here).
  6. When you’re ready, Publish the channel. Your new channel will have a token associated with it.
  7. Go through the same Import process you used to bring in the channels originally, except click on the button the says “Import with token”. You’ll then paste the token from your custom channel.

So in summary, it’s possible, it just involves using Kolibri Studio to make a custom copy of the channel with the changes.

Thank you for getting back to me.

All the content are from your Content Library and I have already downloaded them onto my Raspberry PI - around 150GB worth of content - so creating copies in studio would mean deleting and reuploading part of the content.

I have set the unit to not need user registration/login. Could this be the reason why content tagged for Coaches only are visible to everyone?

Quick question. If I follow your suggestion, re creating copies on studio, would the copies be automatically updated when the originals are updated by you?

Lastly, it would be great if administrators could set access on the local units instead of on studio.

Thank you for your support.

This shouldn’t be the case. Kolibri does use some caching, which you might try restarting Kolibri to see if this changes the behavior. Also, it would be worth double checking the overridden values for the coach content setting, in case they got reset.

Updating copied/imported resources is a manual process. Kolibri Studio does provide a feature to perform this process, which is referred to as ‘Sync[ing] resources’. You may find it in the meatball menu in the top corner of the page on Kolibri Studio, as shown in the screenshot below.

In the future, we’ll be integrating features to curate content offline within Kolibri. Thank you for this feedback.

Regards,
Blaine