Windows Installation EXE Virus Detection

Summary

I’m new to Kolibri and just tried to download the Kolibri Windows installation EXE. My security software, BitDefender Total Security 2020 (build 24.0.16.95, threat engine version 7.84189), detects the file as being infected with “Gen:Variant.Cerbu.69721” and blocked the download. VirusTotal also reports that Endgame detects the installation file as malicious:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/c5444c4555cf0432a208f652780f3cac0ac3ba9ba943ad73d03c17778e746663/detection

Is it safe to install the file? If so, I’ll create an AntiVirus exception and proceed. Thank you.

Technical details

• Kolibri 0.13.1
  • Windows 10
  • Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Thank you for the report.

We are investigating whether this is a false positive or not and will follow up shortly.

Hi @Tig,

We scanned both the unsigned and signed installer with BitDefender 2020 7.84190, and they both came clean of malware. We also evaluated our build environment. We build our Windows installer inside a Linux VM, so it’s unlikely that this machine would be infected by malware. We suspect that this is a false positive on the antivirus software.

My personal suspicion is that there was some malware that contained the same software stack as Kolibri’s Windows installer (InnoCompiler + Python), and that set off the false positive.

Thanks for the report! Please let us know if you think Kolibri still has malware, and we’ll investigate further.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s exactly the response I was hoping for—candid, detailed, and you took the time to investigate. I have no other reason to be concerned and I’ll proceed with installing and using. I will immediately update this if any related issues develop; otherwise you can assume we’re good!

1 Like