Run Kolibri Server easily on Android

Just as a heads-up as I am still experimenting with it, but I got a Kolibri server running on an Android phone quite easily using the QPython app: http://www.qpython.org/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.qpython.qpy

Install it, go to the QPIPI Client, enter pip install kolibri

To launch it (maybe there is an easier way?), open the explorer, go to cache->pip-build-LNYNCA->kolibri->kolibri then open init.py and press run button below. in the resulting terminal type kolibri start

As long as you keep the Qpython terminal running in the background, you can access it through the displayed IPs. If you use the android hotspot external access should be usually through 192.168.43.1:8080

An app like “caffeine” can prevent the Android device from going to stand-by mode.

Feedback welcome :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: MAYEIN - Kolibri in Nigeria

Hi Kris! I’m a developer at Learning Equality, and I’ve been working on getting an Android app for Kolibri.

This is fascinating! Thanks for sharing!

We have a similar set up (with similar restrictions) in the works for an dedicated Android app. It seems that QPython uses different tools to achieve very similar results, though, and it’s great that it’s set up to run from Android, with no development necessary!

I’ll be keeping a close eye on this as potential alternatives, since we’ve run into a few issues with the current set up.

Thanks again! If you’re ever interested in testing the Kolibri app, I’d be happy message you directly to arrange something.

1 Like

I don’t see the above path in explorer even after a successful pip install kolibri

I also tried the same thing as explained by Kris. I was able to run Kolibri on Android but while importing content it showing that there is no space available where as there is 32 GB space available in my android device.

Kindly help.

I am getting this error while loading info tab containing information about ip and storage

{
“request”: {
“path”: “/api/device/deviceinfo/”,
“params”: {
“1566477530387”: 1566477530387
},
“headers”: {
“Content-Type”: “application/json”,
“Accept”: “application/json, application/json;q=0.8, text/plain;q=0.5, /;q=0.2”,
“X-CSRFToken”: “fneS2nSrrzRSIQbyGjj8ge49ShcJO7h1D9bS3AOvpAjyz9ehCvxFRQYowJID9Ib3”
},
“method”: “GET”,
“canceled”: false
},
“url”: “/api/device/deviceinfo/?1566477530387=1566477530387”,
“raw”: {},
“status”: {
“code”: 500,
“text”: “Internal Server Error”
},
“headers”: {
“Date”: “Thu, 22 Aug 2019 12:38:51 GMT”,