When I started implementing Kolibri, I spent far too much time emphasizing operations & administration. What I should have been teaching the coaches is how to teach a class with electronic tools. Emphasis should be placed on reminding the Coaches that Kolibri isn’t a teaching solution. Teachers still need to teach. They can’t just cut the kids loose & expect them to learn from the computer.
Here are some highlights on what needs to happen for a successful implementation:
• THINK!!! Read the questions & figure out the answers, don’t just hit the hint button until the answer appears.
• Be trained on devices thoroughly.
• Be trained on the exercises.
• Be trained on the objective.
o Five check marks.
• Understand that using this equipment is a privilege to be lost under certain circumstances.
Coaches should be taught how to:
• Utilize the Student devices.
• Train Students on devices.
• Create Student groups.
• Create Lessons & Exercises.
• Create Exams
• TEACH!!! Kolibri is a tool, not a solution.
• Create lesson plans.
o Preferably from Khan Academy
• Know how to create groups.
• Know how to create lessons.
• Know how to create exercises.
• Know how to create exams.
• Review the video tutorial assignments.
o Create an introduction to the tutorial using something different than the tutorial
If tutorial uses circles, use hearts or triangles
If tutorial is working with the number 3, use the number 2 so it’s easier to learn.
• Determine if there is sufficient information in the video tutorial for Students to complete the exercise.
o If not, Teacher must augment the material with classroom instruction or other media (such as a workbook).
o In Khan Academy, remember that 2nd grade curriculum (or any grade curriculum) is merely a suggestion.
• Review exercises.
o Expose Students to every kind of exercise they are being called to complete before starting the Students on the activity.
If it’s pull-down an animal, show them how.
If it’s fill-in the blank, show them how.
• Change Student’s activity every 15 – 20 minutes (maybe even more often for some classes).
• Daily review Student’s progress.
o Adjust lesson plan according to Student progress.
o Adjust your groups if necessary.
Facility Coach must:
• Periodically audit classes and encourage best practices.
I hope this helps your implementation go much smoother than mine did.