How to build kolibri-server debian file from fork of Kolibri

Greetings Learning Equality Team,
I work in an edtech company based in Zambia, which provides affordable education for underprivileged children. We use Kolibri to deliver mathematics content to our learners and have created our own fork of the original source code.

I am writing to seek your assistance regarding the creation of a Debian package for my fork of Kolibri using the steps described on Learning Equality’s Kolibri-Server repo. My aim is to leverage the performance benefits of Kolibri Server (caching, reverse proxy, more efficient use of resources) while incorporating my modifications to the Kolibri codebase. My fork of Kolibri is based on version 0.13.x and does not have many major differences, just a new plugin which displays content in a different way for learners.

However, I have encountered several challenges during the packaging process, and I would greatly appreciate your guidance and expertise in resolving them. Here are the issues I’m currently facing:

1. Upstream Tarball Not Found: When attempting to build the Debian package using dpkg-buildpackage, I receive the following error: “dpkg-source: error: can’t build with source format “3.0 (quilt)”: no upstream tarball found.” As I am not concerned about an upstream tarball, I changed the source format to “3.0 (native)”.

2. Inclusion of Kolibri Source Code: After addressing the tarball issue and proceeding with the build process, the build process is successful. However, the resulting Debian file is significantly smaller than expected (around 10 KB). It appears that the Kolibri source code is not being correctly included in the package. I have verified the contents of the debian directory and the installation instructions in the debian/rules file, but the issue persists.

3. Packaging Dependencies: While attempting to troubleshoot the packaging issues, I have ensured that all the necessary build dependencies are installed on my system. However, I would appreciate any specific dependencies or build requirements that might be relevant to successfully create a Debian package for Kolibri Server.

Given the above challenges, I kindly request your guidance and suggestions on how to proceed with creating a Debian package for my modified fork of Kolibri. Your expertise and assistance would be invaluable

Please let me know if there are any additional details or information you require to assist me in this process.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to your response.

Best regards,
Kapya