Android installer

Hello,

Amazing work team!

Whats the timline to get kolibri installer on the play store?

I noticed the 0.7 release avaliable as an apk. Keen to try the newer one out.

Hi @fiji_boy -

We aim to have an officially supported Kolibri APK available later this year with version 0.11.0. (Current APKs are experimental and not supported.)

It’s unlikely to be on the Play store in this timeframe, but we are interested in doing that eventually.

In the meantime, Android is fully supported as a client, if the Kolibri server is installed on a Linux or Windows machine on the same network.

regards,
Devon

@devon. Your team is awesome.

And android server gives us more options for deployment.

A scenario:

If each learner has the apk on their own android device (they take it home… And bring it back to school in a completely offline ).

Is there way for the teacher to track the collective progress of her class (multiple learners) on a central interface/server.

I am looking to deploy this in rural schools in Papua New Guinea where electricity is an issue.

Enjoy the weekend.

If each learner has the apk on their own android device (they take it home… And bring it back to school in a completely offline ).

Is there way for the teacher to track the collective progress of her class (multiple learners) on a central interface/server.

Thanks for the info on your use case - this is definitely something we’re working towards supporting, though I can’t give a concrete timeline.

When we begin working on designs of this feature, perhaps we can reach out to validate them against your scenario?

@devon
Happy to validate the design.

(Sorry for the delay in replying - I have been travelling around PNG)

Hey @devon, just checking to see how timelines for the apk development is going.

Appreciate the efforts your team are putting into this.

Hi @fiji_boy -

We’ll a beta release of the APK available by the end of the year at the latest, hopefully earlier.

best,
Devon

@devon - Keen to know if there is an update on the APK development?

Blessings for the new year!

Hi, thanks for checking in!

APK development has been slow but steady. We’re ironing out a few final issues but we should have an alpha ready for testing in a week or two. We’ll be sure to reach out to you then if you’re able to help us with testing.

What kinds of devices do you have, and what versions of Android are they running?

Hi @fiji_boy,

We have a beta version ready for testing, if you’re still open to do so!

The release should work on Android devices version 4.4+. If you’re still keen, let us know and I’ll message you directly.

@david @devon I’m running a project with high school students in South Africa and would really like to become a beta tester. Could you please share the apk with me? erik.lonnroth@gmail.com

Many thanks,
Erik

Hello. New here.

Just wanted to say I succesfully compiled Kolibri v0.12 apk file. I am to put it as an unofficial release somewhere on the net.

I have installed it in a Samsung tablet and it is working. This enables me to transfer the tens of channel storage GBs to import to the device through local network.

Thank you so much for Kolibri. I was looking for something with Kolibri’s functionality for a long time.

Cheers,
Mlenge

Hi - thanks for taking an interest in our project. We are very happy that you are interested in trying out the Android installer, and using it on your own devices. We would very much appreciate if you did not share it publicly online, as we are still trying to evaluate the full range of support with the wonderful testers we have here, and are wary of more widespread dissemination without having gone through that evaluation phase first.

Also, because of the current limitations of the Android app, it is less suitable for many learning scenarios, which we want to more clearly delineate and then build support for.

Thank you Richard for clarification.