Unable to access kolibri

I downloaded the kolibri custom image, flashed it onto a microsd card, and used it for my raspberry pi. The kolibri network appears automatically once it is booted as expected, but on my phone(ios) I can’t even connect to the wifi as it would display “No Internet Connection”. I was able to connect on my IPad, but was still unable to reach http://10.10.10.10. I’ve also tried http://10.10.10.10:8080/ but it also did not work. Any ideas?

Hi @marcteoong,

Thank you for trying out Learning Equality’s custom Raspberry Pi image for running Kolibri.

Would you please provide the version of the Kolibri image you downloaded and are using? This information should be present in the file name for the image; for example, the version 0.14.3 if the file name is kolibri-pi-image-0.14.3.zip

Also, would you provide the browser and the version of iOS you are using? You can find the version by following these instructions.

I’m curious if you would try connecting to Kolibri while Airplane Mode is enabled. It may be necessary to enable Wi-Fi after Airplane Mode is enabled. I’m not very familiar with iOS, but this could help rule out that the phone is routing the request over the cellular network instead of the Wi-Fi, since iOS is reporting no internet (as expected).

Regards,
Blaine

Hi Blaine,

I got it working after some time. I had to change the dnsmasq and dhcpcd settings. I followed the manual setup instructions on the website and they didn’t work for IOS products. The image I used is only named kolibri lite, I downloaded the most recent one from the website. Also the browser I used was safari and I used IOS 13.5.1.

Thank you,
Marc

Thank you, @marcteoong, for providing the requested information.

Did you perhaps download KA Lite?

Our first platform, KA Lite, was launched in 2012 and provided local, offline access to Khan Academy content to millions of learners in over 175 countries and territories. KA Lite is still available for download, but we are no longer actively developing nor maintaining it.

As you may have seen on our website, we have launched a second platform, Kolibri, that builds upon what we offered with KA Lite. Kolibri expands beyond just Khan Academy and has a larger repository of open content across multiple subjects and languages. It also brings in a host of tools to help align the content with national and local curricular standards, and on the student side it offers a self-paced personalized learning experience with support tools for teachers to track student progress.

Here are some Kolibri resources you may be interested in:

• Kolibri download page, which has downloads for a variety of platforms, but we don’t currently support Kolibri on iOS.
  • Kolibri documentation, which has accompanying resources for installing and using Kolibri.
  • Kolibri Studio page, which is where you may create an account to mix existing content from our repository and upload your own as desired.

Regards,
Blaine

Hi Blaine,

Sorry I just realized I downloaded the 0.13v kolibri img. I’ve downloaded the 0.14 version now and it works perfectly.

Just a question though, is it okay to leave the Raspberry pi and kolibri server running? I won’t have a keyboard or hdmi connected to the raspberry pi so it will be hard to turn off. If there are 10-15 students connected to the server all day and it isn’t turned off at night will the raspberry pi or the sd card break in a few months? I’ve read that it’s fine to leave raspberry pis running forever but perhaps kolibri is a more demanding process especially if a lot of students are connected to it and using it at the same time. Should I find a way to turn it off or can I keep it running 24/7?

Follow up to that question, around how many clients do you think can use a Raspberry Pi 4B with 4GB ram running the kolirbi lite image? Would one device be enough for 15 clients?

Thank you for your responses!
Marc

Should I find a way to turn it off or can I keep it running 24/7

It’s generally not an issue to keep it running, the main thing would be heat – if the environment is cool, and you are using heatsinks, etc, then you should be fine. If there are long periods where it won’t be used, turning it off is likely best as it would prolong the SD card life. Another factor, if you’re using a fan in the case, is that it might build up dust over time (or the fan may wear out eventually), so that’s something to watch for. The Pi 4 runs a bit hotter than some of the older models (as it’s higher performance), so these issues may be more of concern with it.

Follow up to that question, around how many clients do you think can use a Raspberry Pi 4B with 4GB ram

The main bottleneck is the Wi-Fi, which maxes out long before any of the other system resources would. In our testing, we were able to connect around 15 (sometimes 17) clients at the same time to the onboard wifi. If you want to connect more than that, you’d generally need to go through a router (which itself needs to be checked for how many clients it can support at once). Streaming higher-bandwidth videos at once to each device may reduce this theoretical limit.