Third-party developers for custom development work

Hi,

Has anyone engaged any third-party developers, individuals or teams, to do Kolibri custom development work? If so, please share details. I am based in the UK, but location is not important.

Thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard,

Can you share more about what custom development work you’re interested in? It would be helpful to understand as we build out our roadmap and in case there’s overlap in what’s upcoming or what we’re considering adding.

Best,
Laura

Hi @laura,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

I am interested in creating some simple data capture tools, e.g. a budget tool, to support a proposal development training module.

Do you have any plans to add anything like a survey tool/form builder with formula fields?

Best,
Richard

Hi @rtandoh,

We have done some prototyping of a ‘survey’ mode for assessments - used solely for data collection. It doesn’t sound like anything as advanced as what you are talking about here - do you have some specific examples of the kinds of survey questions that are needed?

Kind Regards,
Richard

@richard,

Here you go:

Form:

Q: What do you what to buy? - A: Pens
Q: How many do you want (No. Needed)? - A: 3
Q: How much does each pen cost (Unit Cost) - A: 50
= The total cost is 150 MWK
Q: Who is responsible for buying this item? - A: John
Q: Anyone else? - A: No
Q: What the source of funds? - A: Community
Q: Do you need to buy anything else? - A:No

Output:

Item No. Needed Unit Cost Total Cost Owner Source of funds?
Pens 3 50 150 John Community

rt.

I assume this output is the ‘survey report’ that you would want to see as a result of administering this survey?

We’ve done some backend aggregation work to create tables like this - but purely displaying the responses to specific questions, not with the results as well.

I don’t think anything like this is on our immediate roadmap, although outputting the results of the surveys would be a bit more likely to come within our Data Portal platform in the more immediate future.

Kind Regards,
Richard

@richard,

Yes, that’s correct.

There was one thing in your response that I didn’t quite get. You wrote “purely displaying the responses to specific questions, not with the results as well.”; what is the distinction between responses and results here?

Also, should I take from what you said, that you think it would be hard for a third-party to build such a module into Kolibri, particularly one that would work offline?

Best,
Richard

Just showing responses, rather than any of the formula calculation pieces that you included in your example.

It would be possible - collecting the data effectively offline would probably require integration with the Kolibri syncing mechanisms. If this was too much of a lift, it might be worth investigating a third party tool for collecting survey data in offline scenarios, which might allow avoiding custom development work. I think Tangerine might be able to do things like this, but other measurement and evaluation tools that are specifically made for offline scenarios do exist (but their names escape me right now).

Kind Regards,
Richard

@richard,

Got it now. Thanks for explaining.

Okay. Yes, I am considering CommCare and KoboToolbox.

rt.