Migrate username from one device to a new device with Kolibri installed

Good day,

Could you please advise how I can migrate user on a current Ubuntu machine to a new device, that has a new installation of Kolibri via the terminal. Targeted devices: Ubuntu Xenial & Raspberry Pi3.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Bryan
you can always do a zip of the .kolibri directory in the source machine and uncompress it in the new device. That way you will get everything: users, classes, content, etc.

If you want to migrate only one user, it could be possible executing some database commands that are not user friendly. At http://www.sqlitetutorial.net/sqlite-tutorial/sqlite-export-csv/ & http://www.sqlitetutorial.net/sqlite-import-csv/ you can see the kind of tasks that would be needed to do it. If you feel you can do it, let me know it and I will provide you the exact details of the needed query.

Hi @jredrejo,

Please provide me with the exact details of the query I need. Thanks so much!

Hi Bryan,
first of all a disclaimer: this is not a normal user task, some skills are needed and you can destroy the original Kolibri installation if some step is done incorrectly.
Said that, here I’m pasting an example I have just tested in my computer. I have used only the linux terminal to do it. You will have to do
sudo apt install sqlite3 before executing the commands if sqlite3 is not installed in your computers.
All the commands have been executed inside the directory .kolibri of the user having Kolibri installed.

At the source computer (replace xxxxx by the username of the user you want to migrate):

jose@source:~/.kolibri$ sqlite3 db.sqlite3 
SQLite version 3.22.0 2018-01-22 18:45:57
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> .mode csv
sqlite> .output exported_user.csv
sqlite> select * from kolibriauth_facilityuser where username='xxxxx';
sqlite> .quit

At the target computer:

jose@target:~/.kolibri$ sqlite3 db.sqlite3 
SQLite version 3.22.0 2018-01-22 18:45:57
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> .mode csv
sqlite> .import exported_user.csv kolibriauth_facilityuser
sqlite> .quit

That’s all. Hope it helps

1 Like

@jredrejo,

Thanks so much for your reply, I will test this during this day and get back to you on the outcome. Thanks very much, much appreciated.