Uploading without Kolibri studio

Hi everyone!

Is there a way to upload content to Kolibri without using Kolibri studio?

1 Like

Hi Nathier,

Not yet, but over the next year we plan to make some of the functionalities of Kolibri Studio available offline in Kolibri. Stay tuned!

Best,
Laura

2 Likes

What is the status of this? I am working with about 100 teachers who will be making/uploading videos for students to watch every day. These teachers will easily and quickly exceed the 500mb limits per account. I know they can request more space, but if they could upload directly into our local Kolibri server, it would be much less load on your Studio servers and we would not have to ask you for a terabyte or more of storage. Thoughts or direction is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

@swaectech Iā€™m also waiting for the feature to be released. Iā€™ve got a lot of content that Iā€™d like to upload, but cannot do so because of space restrictions. Being able to upload content without Kolibri Studio would be a game changer

Iā€™m thinking of two possible ways to accomplish this, though I am sure there are many others. Since the whole system is database-driven, then I can see a feature where content is dropped onto the ā€œmainā€ server via USB/FTP/Network/etc then have an interface devised that allows for the content to pulled into the database (like an ā€œimportā€ type scenario). Another option, potentially, would be a slimmed down version of Studio that runs on the Kolibri server for the sole purpose of importing content directly. People could still use Studio for grabbing the free resources and if they didnā€™t need/want to handle things locally, but those of us with massive amounts of content would be able to use USB, etc. to upload into the ā€œLocal Studio.ā€ As I said, I am sure there are other possible solutions, but those popped in my head. Granted, I have no inkling whatā€™s involved with either of those solutions, so please forgive any ignorance and/or any implication that this would be ā€œeasy.ā€ Iā€™m sure is does not fall under the ā€œeasyā€ category. Just sharing thoughts, ideas to maybe help spark something in people who know of such things.

Hi @swaectech and others,

Our initial focus for this kind of local content upload has been at the more micro level - teachers uploading new content on a lesson by lesson basis for use in their next few weeksā€™ worth of teaching.

Does this match the kind of use case you foresee? This is one of the reasons that weā€™ve avoided just making ā€˜Studio offlineā€™, as Studioā€™s primary use case is the aggregation of large swathes of content into organized channels - as opposed to this more lesson by lesson workflow which we see as more suitable.

I am interested in your thoughts and feedback here, as it can help to influence our designs and scoping going forward.

Kind Regards,
Richard

I am on the same boat, I think local content uploaded which would allow teachers to upload new content every 2-3 weeks is what we are hoping for. It would be nice for teachers to upload their lesson at the local content server which can then sync with students devices. Right now with studio, teachers would need to upload it to student publish, then pull it to the local content server and then sync.

Richard,
My concern (and I have turned in a help ticket to the situation) is that I am working with 100 teachers who are uploading LOTS of content - Self-created lesson videos, PDFs, pulling in other channel content, etc that will far exceed the 500mb limit placed on their Studio accounts. They will need at least 50gb each.

My thought with local upload or a local Studio was that we could bypass the need to upload to your installation of Studio. We would also not be taking up the valuable storage space on Kolibri servers. If there were a way to save their files to the local Kolibri server and bring that content in to the local Kolibri installation, that would help alleviate some of these issues.

Several of the teachers have already hit their limits and we are less than 24 hours into their content creation and uploading.

If we need to converse via private message, we can do so. I really need the storage for these teachers expanded quickly in order to prepare our raspberry pi devices for students taking part in offline digital learning in our area.

Thank you for your time and attention. Kolibri is an amazing tool and I hope we are able to really showcase its potential through our implementation!
ā€“David

I also agree with this, being able to actually add content to the server when you donā€™t have access to reliable internet.

https://learningequality.org/kolibri/

Kolibri is an adaptable set of open solutions specially developed to support learning for the half of the world without Internet access. Centered around an offline-first learning platform

One of the core pillars of kolibri was to allow it to be used without internet access, but if a teacher wants to upload a new lesson or images they had, it would have to be sneaker netted to someplace with internet to upload it, and then sneaker net it again to bring it back.

Iā€™m a doomsday prepper preparing for a grid down scenario where internet wouldnā€™t be available for any future content. Which in the current setup I could never upload any new content. even though i have other resources i may want to use.

Hello @tookys
Youā€™re right, you should be able to get content without Internet being available, and thatā€™s a scenario thatā€™s on the Kolibri setup.
As you can see in this screenshot:

You can use a plugged usb drive to fetch the content, or another computer in the same network having kolibri with the channels you want to import. The latest is a very common scenario in many projects:

1. A teacher or any other person creates new content and uploads them to Studio
  2. Someone with Internet access uses a laptop with Kolibri installed to retrieve the new content from Studio
  3. This person takes the laptops to areas, usually rural schools, where thereā€™s not Internet and connects it to the school network, via wifi or with a direct ethernet cable to another computer in the school
  4. The computer in the school uses the second option of the above screenshot to fetch the new content from the laptop

As you can see,
the only step really needing Internet is creating and adding new content to Studio, after that step you can use a laptop or download the channel to an external disk and take it wherever you want to be used without Internet.

Currently, thereā€™s no way to remove Studio, thus Internet, from the equation. This might change in the future and itā€™s in discussion for upcoming roadmaps, but not for the near term.

Regards
JosƩ