Update African Storybook Channel

We have added and had approved translations of books on the African Storybook website under the language Fulfulde Mbororoore. These are now listed on ASb as well in their App. However, this new language addition and the content thus uploaded to the web site has not show up in the ASb channel on Kolibri. I asked ASb about this and they said that they have no control over what shows up in the Kolibri system. How does this channel get updated to reflect the additional resources and languages being added?

Hi @cjackson!

Kudos to your team on translating the African Storybooks too in Fulfulde Mbororore!

Whenever new and updated content becomes available on the original content provider site, in order for it to be included in Kolibri public channels, and thus be available for download onto local devices, we need to run what we call a sushichef, sort of a dedicated web-crawler-and-collector. There is a specific sushichef for each one of the Kolibri public channels, that runs on a time interval and updates the channel with content that became available since the last version.

However, in case of the new African Storybooks in Fulfulde Mbororore, we also need to perform some additional development tasks and add the necessary language code for this locale as there were no books translated to it in previous versions of the African Storybooks channel in Kolibri.

I have been in contact with our content dev team since yesterday regarding your question, and we can probably have the channel ready for update by the end of this week. I’ll let you know as soon as it is published and can be downloaded on the local Kolibri installations.

@cjackson

We’ve updated the African Storybooks channel on Kolibri Studio to include the 7 books currently translated into Fulfulde Mbororore. You can see them imported on our Kolibri demo server, and import on your local devices.

Let us know if we can help with something else!

Thank you for your effort to get this done! I added the channel to our Kolibri here today and then let the people here at the workshop know. The immediately dug in to look at the books. I have some pics I could send you if you like.

We have another 8 or so titles that need final checking and will be published. We have more titles coming this next week, too. What will need to be done to make these new additions available via Kolibri channel? Based on what you described, it seems like it is something of a manual update to get new titles listed and available for download.

They immediately dug in to look at the books. I have some pics I could send you if you like.

Very glad your team and learners can enjoy the books in their own language!
It would be wonderful if you could share some pictures with us, please do forward them along by email.

it seems like it is something of a manual update to get new titles listed and available for download

Once we’ve added the necessary language codes for a new language as in this case, the process is fairly automatic, we only need to start the African Storybooks sushichef when we know there is a new content available. Just let us know when you have the new batch of books translated, and we’ll update the channel! :slightly_smiling_face: