Missing Images, Graphs, Questions

Hi @cjackson - sorry I haven’t had a chance to work on this further yet. I’m going to loop in @lingyi who may also be able to help us debug

I was able to reproduce @cjackson’s problem, and it is the problem that Jonathan detailed here:

Somehow, the URLs are becoming malformed on older WebKit/Safari builds. Either that, or newer WebKit builds (along with other browsers) auto-correct the problem. I was having a bit of difficulty finding out where the URL gets set in the code, does anyone know where I can find that code?

Also, I reproduced by creating a small private channel on Studio (token: bimog-pilaj) based on @cjackson’s description of the problem, and I tested it using Safari on iOS Simulator 9.3. I had to remove the Safari block on my local Kolibri in order to test as I don’t know of a way to install the other browsers in the Simulator. @lingyi let me know if you want more info on how I tested.

As someone else explained, all the browsers on iOS use the underlying webkit used by Safari, so whether you are using Safari or any other browser on iOS, you’re working with the same fundamentals. I believe the problem would be the same if you were able to install Firefox, or Chrome. So, the Safari block on Kolibri really doesn’t address the problem. That is, if the Safari block were for these issues.

@cjackson

There is a potential fix here: https://github.com/learningequality/kolibri/pull/4589

At the bottom of the Pull Request linked above, if you click “details” on the latest “Kolibri Buildkite Assets”, would you be able to install one of these test builds and give them a try on your iOS devices?

@cjackson here is a direct link to the installer @benjamin referenced.

(@benjamin non-LE users don’t see those assets)

I assume I can just download this file and install it over top of my existing Kolibri install? I’m running a RPi 3b+. Is there any specific instructions I should follow, or just the normal procedure?

Thanks for your work on this!

I got it installed and working on the dev version. Same problem persists. iOS 9.3.5. Both Chrome and Firefox.

@benjamin, @devon: FYI, I checked both “Adding within 5,” “Subtracting within 5” and “Numbers to 100” as examples. The exercise content of the adding and subtracting did not show up. The table with the missing number that is used in the counting exercise also doesn’t show.

Thanks for testing @cjackson and letting us know which contents - wondering if @kollivier can test this on his iOS simulator. He reported several of the other iOS issues fixed. But it’s interesting if @kollivier, being a Kolibri Studio dev, can reproduce and perhaps give a judgement of the issue.

@cjackson would you mind clearing your browser cache on the ipad? There’s a possibility that the old version is still cached.

@devon, @benjamin: cleared the cache on the iPad, as well as inside both Chrome and Firefox. Same problem persists. @devon, does it work correctly on your test installation using iOS 9.5.3?

@devon, @benjamin: I just tested those same exercises mentioned above on an iPad Air 2 with current iOS, Firefox and Chrome - cleared the cache, etc. The exercises on that platform are no longer working. Then tested it from a MacBook Pro current installs of Mac OS, Safari and Firefox. Again, the exercises are not working. Then I tested from a Toshiba laptop with Windows 10 on Firefox. Again, exercises in questions are not working. They were working before this experimental installation. So, it could be that something else got broken and we are not getting a clear picture of whether the fix actually fixes the iOS 9.3.5 issue! Thoughts?

Here’s some additional info if this will help. I opened the debugger interface on Safari 12 on MBP. Went to one of the “Add within 5” exercises. It recorded the following 4 errors shown below.

[Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) (c2bde6599950c3aefc0d4793533bed3f21c4d6e8.svg, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) (0041a87d6104cbbdb130f3b63baf4b57523e5acd.svg, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) (c2bde6599950c3aefc0d4793533bed3f21c4d6e8-data.json, line 0)
[Error] Data load failed: – “http:http://kolibri.jv:8080/zipcontent/eca85362c5a5c8370b08cae21edb69be.perseus/images/c2bde6599950c3aefc0d4793533bed3f21c4d6e8-data.json” – undefined
(anonymous function) (exercise_perseus_render_module-1.1.1.js:55:238498)
(anonymous function) (exercise_perseus_render_module-1.1.1.js:55:237988)

One last additional bit of info. Looking at the failed links found in the debugger interface, I see the resources that load correctly have a correctly formed URL. Whereas, those that don’t load have this duplicated frontend of the URL as shown here.

http://10.0.2.100:8080/learn/http://10.0.2.100:8080/zipcontent/eca85362c5a5c8370b08cae21edb69be.perseus/images/0041a87d6104cbbdb130f3b63baf4b57523e5acd.svg

FYI, our Kolibri server is on a device with fixed IP 10.0.2.100 and is also referenced through our firewall with host address http://kolibri.jv

Thanks @cjackson – that sounds too much like a new issue caused by the new change. I’ll post your feedback and pass back a new installer. Sorry about that, I hope you will remain in the hope that this is fixed quite soon :blush:

@benjamin: Thanks for your attention to this issue. I do very much hope this can be sorted out very soon so we can use Kolibri for our program here! It starts up January 13. Here’s hoping!

I hope I’m not overwhelming you with information with my posts.

The fix is going in as a patch update for 0.11, so it would be able to go out quite quickly and release with 0.11.1. We do, however, test our releases a bit more than usual software because the contexts of usage often do not allow for further updates.

So, are you saying that I should just wait for the patch update to come? Will that come in with my normal apt-get update/upgrade that I use?

Hi @cjackson thanks for all your feedback and reporting here, it’s really helpful for us to fix the issue you are seeing.

I have made an additional update to the fix and think it should fix the issue you are seeing: the installers are available here.

Hopefully this will be the fix you are looking for, and we can release it in our 0.11.1 release (before you roll out your project!).