Content in Khan Academy vs KA Lite vs Kolibri

I am looking at the different platforms and have some questions on what content is available where. As an example, KA > Math > Math III (which my daughter will take soon):

• Khan Academy’s website has the full set of videos, practices, and quizzes
  • I installed Kolibri locally - at first glance, it appears all the videos match up, and it seems all the practices are there. But the quizzes are missing.
  • I also have KA Lite running. When I go to Math III, there are only 3 videos and only one of the sections even appear. Seems like this would at least match Kolibri?

My questions:

• Are these intended to be in sync? Should I expect them to be the same and there is something wrong with my installations? Or is Kolibri a subset (no quizzes) and KA Lite an even smaller subset?

• If a subset, is there a chart / map somewhere of what has been converted over and what hasn’t? It would be helpful to know what is and isn’t available in the offline platforms.

Our family will be moving to a place with very unreliable internet. However, its not that they don’t have any internet, so I’m try to evaluate setting up a completely offline KA Lite / Kolibri installation vs using the offline cache / sync later feature of the Khan Academy iPad application with intermittent internet access.

Very excited about the work here though! As a CTO, leader of a software team, and 25+ year developer, I’d like to get involved on the Github side and see if I can get some of my colleagues to volunteer.

2 Likes

Hi Jonathan,

We would usually expect KA Lite and Kolibri to be in sync at least for the Khan Academy content. As of now, we do not support Khan Academy quizzes or exams in Kolibri or KA Lite. I would advise to use Kolibri as that has a more complete set of the content.

Best,
Rafael

1 Like

@rafael
Do you mean you cannot take Khan academy quizzes on the Kolibre? The questions do show up but I cannot proceed to the next question after answering the first one.

Hi @Johnson,

This is a very old thread - @rafael is referring specifically to a specific type of Khan content at the time. Kolibri does support the majority of assessment based resources in Khan Academy.

It sounds like you are seeing a specific issue in Kolibri when attempting exercises. What version of Kolibri are you using? Do you see any errors in the developer console when you are unable to proceed?

Kind Regards,
Richard

Hello Richard
I am using the latest version, that is the 15.5 maybe? My specific challenge is with the Khan academy English and Maths exercise, after the first question, the second question does not show up.

Hi @Johnson,

Thanks - if you open the developer console in your browser, do you see any errors when this occurs?

Kind Regards,
Richard

Hello Richard
The fact is I really do not know how to identify these errors and know if there are errors, I am able to jump on zoom to demonstrate what I mean.

Hi @Johnson,

If you are just able to take a screenshot of what you are seeing and share here, that should be sufficient for follow up questions.

Kind Regards,
Richard

okay, i will do that for you to see.

Dear @richard,
attached is the issue faced with Khan Academy

We have seen a similar issue to this previously, but it was only reported in 0.14.7, and had been fixed in 0.15.0 onwards.

Can you confirm which version you are using here?

You should be able to see by expanding the side navigation on any main page.

Also, if you can follow the instructions here: Finding Your Browser's Developer Console | Balsamiq it would be useful to see a screenshot of the Developer Console when the error is happening.

so the kolibre is the vision I am using is the 0.14.7 I think that was the cause I will download the latest version now. Thanks

Yes, that seems to be the most likely reason for the issue! Let us know when it is hopefully resolved with the upgrade.

Hi Richard,
I just realized that the Kolibri we were using was on a Rachel Pi with a world possible image, there are contents on the world possible imager, installing the imager I just downloaded will wipe off everything on the server. Is there any other way?

Hi @Johnson,

We might have some instructions that could be helpful here, checking internally to see if we have them available!

Kind Regards,
Richard

hello Richard,

Please did you find anything helpful internally?

Hi @Johnson,

Sorry - we weren’t able to find any. I’d suggest looking at or posting on the World Possible community support forums to get more assistance: Support - World Possible Community

Kind Regards,
Richard

Thank you so much